Energy and Environment Partnership in Southern and East Africa (EEP S&EA)
EEP Africa provides early stage grant and catalytic debt financing for innovative clean energy projects, technologies and business models in Southern and East Africa. The immediate objective is to enhance clean energy access, development and investment, with a particular focus on benefitting vulnerable and underserved groups. EEP Africa focuses on three core activities:
- Clean Energy Financing: EEP Africa channels funding through two windows. EEP Innovation provides early stage grant financing to projects in active development through competitive, open calls-for-proposals. There have been 15 calls since 2010. EEP Catalyst is the Fund’s impact investing window providing flexible, follow-on debt financing to successful EEP Africa grantees.
- Investment Facilitation and Business Development Support: EEP Africa improves the investment readiness of projects through targeted business support services and by facilitating linkages with the investor community. EEP Africa regularly organizes Investor Forums, an invitation-only matchmaking event offering investors access to a pipeline of investable clean energy projects.
- Knowledge, Policy and Partnerships: EEP Africa leverages the extraordinary applied learning happening inside its diverse project portfolio to develop a wide range of knowledge products that advance clean energy understanding and awareness. EEP Africa regularly organizes Knowledge Exchange Forums (KEFs), which are open events that bring together clean energy stakeholders for discussions on trends, experiences and lessons learned.
EEP Africa is run by the Nordic Development Fund. EEP Africa provides finance through two financing windows:
- EEP Innovation will consider co-funding requests in the form of grants and repayable grants between EUR 200,000 and EUR 1 million.
- EEP Catalyst provides limited follow-on support up to EUR 2 million for selected projects that have previously received EEP funding. This support is in the form of loans, guarantees or other risk sharing instruments.
Submit an application for the EEP grant during the Call For Proposals. Calls are currently planned to run bi-annually. Announcement of the opening a Call For Proposal can be found on the here. It will also be sent by email to all EEP S&EA Newsletter subscribers.
The timeline, eligibility criteria, and application guidelines are Call For Proposal Specific. The application documents can be found from the application documents section when the Call for proposals is open.
EUR 52 million invested