To be eligible, projects should directly or indirectly contribute to reducing deforestation in the Amazon. The Amazon Fund will support the following areas:
- Management of public forests and protected areas;
- Environmental control, monitoring and inspection;
- Sustainable forest management;
- Economic activities created with sustainable use of the vegetation;
- Ecological and economic zoning, territorial arrangement and agricultural regulation;
- Preservation and sustainable use of biodiversity; and
- Recovery of deforested areas.
Besides this, the Amazon Fund may support the development of systems to monitor and control deforestation in other Brazilian biomes and in biomes of other tropical countries.
In addition to reducing the emission of greenhouse gases, proposed subject areas for support by the Amazon Fund may be coordinated in such a way as to contribute to accomplishing significant targets including prevention, monitoring and combat against deforestation, and targets related to promoting the preservation and sustainable use of the Amazon biome.
The projects for the Amazon Fund can be submitted by several kinds of entities, whether they are direct and indirect federal, state and municipal public administration bodies; research support foundations; non-governmental organizations and civil society organizations of public interest; private companies; cooperatives; governmental and university research centers; scientific and technological institutes, environmental, agrarian and support (federal, state and municipal) entities; research support foundations linked to public bodies acting in the Amazon forest region, as well as entities involved in environmental control and fighting environmental crimes.